Google
 

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Too Tough on Philip Kerr?

I wrote a while back about a "commercial" phase where I didn't like the books, which was a big shift since I think of Philip Kerr as a favorite author. In looking more closely, this assessment really comes from just two books: The Grid, which I did not like very much, and Esau, which I enjoyed most of the way through, but which I wouldn't call a great book. So, I'll leave it at that: The Grid seems like a typical US mass market summer reading thriller, only it didn't engage me the way the best thrillers do. Read everything else by Kerr (I only mention books I've actually read). Dark Matter is very good- my copy is dog-eared because it took it with me everywhere while reading it. Sir Isaac Newton as detective- the game's afoot in London!

Technorati Tags:, , , , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

Sphere: Related Content

5 comments:

  1. I'm at least mildly surprised to see anything by the author of the Berlin Noir trilogy described as typical.
    ===================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand. I guess I felt that the author was trying out a role as the "new Michael Crighton" (who can be good, but is very inconsistent, IMHO). Though I did finish it, The Grid seemed like a hollow confection, and it just didn't hold up. The odd thing was that even the language seemed dumbed down. Maybe I'm seeing ghosts, but that is my impression. Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Kerr, except for flipping through the opening pages of the first of the Berlin Noir books. The books seem like one of the more daring and original Chandler homages, to say the least -- anything but typical, in other words.
    ===================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your conclusion is correct. My immediately previous post goes into the details, as I see them, but for a synopsis: I've read 6 of his books, 4 are in the brilliant range, one is good and one was very disappointing (it certainly had original elements but didn't come close to matching the others in any category, at least not for me).

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
*